Did you start out dreaming of new adventures, but are now finding yourself stuck at home with an unfinished project in the driveway?
For many of us, we begin our van projects inspired to explore new places, spend time with those we care about, and expand our horizons...but sometimes a fun, easy project can turn into a puzzle that we're having difficulty solving...especially when it comes to the power system.
This may not be your first do-it-yourself project, but sometimes you may wonder what you've gotten yourself into.
When it comes to power systems, the research on individual components, ordering the right size and quantity of everything, and knowing the correct order of steps to install it all (and get it safely tied into your vehicle) can be overwhelming.
You may feel like you're printing things out and taking a lot of notes, but aren't spending that much time actually using your tools. What if there was a better way?
I know what it's like, because I've been there too...
It was 2015 and I had my dream destination of Big Sur, California loaded as my computer's screensaver image. I worked away at my exciting new campervan project, but even with a decent collection of tools, a lot of research and a history of doing small construction projects, it took me a while to cobble together my first mobile power system.
18 months after starting my van project, I could now turn on my lights and computer, and in 2016 I hit the road to parts unknown. I was proud of that first system, but I soon learned the hard way how much it lacked...
845 miles into my first trip, I noticed a red glow coming from the back of my van...
While driving around the idyllic town of Taos, New Mexico, I had my first mishap when my new solar panels failed. As a result, my batteries were sinking fast, and the only way to know was a red glow coming from my solar charge controller.
Frankly I would like to just blame the solar panels that had failed, but looking back I can tell you that this event simply revealed a slew of other problems with my system.
To make matters worse, I had advised another guy to use the same solar panels, and a few months later, the same panels failed on his van. I went up to Seattle to investigate and figure out what had gone wrong...
I went on a journey to figure out power systems once and for all...
The guy in Seattle happened to be a professional builder, and I was downright embarrassed that I had been a trusted source and then made a bad recommendation. I'd also begun teaching how to build vans online, and my ignorance was quickly becoming a liability. I decided to figure out these power systems once and for all.
After helping to replace the failed flexible solar panels in Seattle with a new rigid panel, I set off on a series of projects around the U.S. from 2016-2018. As a traveling van builder, I took on projects in places like California, Iowa and Florida.
By 2019 I had settled back in Houston again, but drove or flew out to do a slew of new lithium power systems in places like Detroit, Seattle and Indianapolis.
Over time I developed a method for doing power systems that followed what you might call an inside-out framework. I determined that it was best to design and install them in a reverse process that worked backwards.
A few systems from the road...
I began documenting my inside-out method for power systems...
From 2015 onwards, I had continued to teach van conversions online and had noticed that my students struggled the most with the electrical part of their builds.
I knew I needed to thoroughly document my "backwards" approach to power systems, incorporating all of the critical techniques and methods from the thousands of hours I'd spent building systems on the road. Coined "The Van Power Method," I soon began documenting my process while working as the "electrical guy" at a Houston van shop to keep learning in the meantime.
The shop experience was a combination of doing some very cutting-edge systems, while spending a lot of time fixing systems that had come back broken, blown, or just lacking some core functionality.
Over the years, I had accumulated a list of mistakes to avoid when designing and assembling power systems, but the shop gave me even more mistakes to address in the training program I was building...
The Van Power Method Masterclass is born...
After carefully documenting my "inside-out" power systems process, it was time for its public debut.
Today, the Van Power Method Masterclass has been battle-tested by hundreds of do-it-yourselfers and professional builders around the world, with projects installed in every major van brand, as well as a variety of RV's, trailers and more.
Since 2019, the Masterclass has been continually refined to ensure students complete world-class power systems, while reducing the time, effort and cost it takes to build them.
Here's a sneak peek inside the
Van Power Method Masterclass:
Module 1: Sizing Your System + Charging Overview
- Where every system design begins, and why that is
- How to take your appliance and find how much battery capacity it needs
- How to find how much battery capacity you need for one day
- How multiple charging sources can combine and not interfere with each other
Module 1 Lessons
Module 2: Shore Power Deep Dive
- Ross's recommended shore power components, and how they wire together (point-to-point, from shore inlet to where you plug in your appliance)
- How to incorporate a generator option in your shore power strategy
- Ross's proprietary inverter setup that will stretch how long you can stay off-grid with a given battery capacity
- Recommended cables, wires, fuses, and breakers used with shore power
Module 2 Lessons
Module 3: Monitoring and Controls Deep Dive
- Learn the one component that allows you to see an animated display of your entire system
- See the monitor you need at a minimum to keep tabs on how your system is doing
- See the "monitor of the future" that will monitor EVERYTHING in your van
- Learn the installation methods of various monitors and controls and how they tie into your larger system
Module 3 Lessons
Module 4: Solar + Alternator Power Deep Dives
- Demonstration of how solar power is wired together with explanations of each component along the circuit
- The components you need to make mounting your panels a cinch (and not a nightmare)
- Demonstration of how alternator power is wired together with explanations of each component along the circuit
- Where you connect to the van to pick up alternator power
- Recommended alternator charging components, and how to choose the right one for your battery type
- Recommended cables, wires, fuses, and breakers used with solar and alternator power
Module 4 Lessons
Module 5: Battery Deep Dive
- Battery Type Comparison: A look at charging speed, efficiency, lifespan, cold weather performance, price, and more
- The lithium battery type with the easiest wiring, and the one with the hardest (brand comparison)
- The lithium battery type to go with if you want higher capacity but you're short on space
- Ross's safety tips while working with batteries and the one situation you want to avoid
Module 5 Lessons
Module 6: Tools, Wires and Installation Tips
- Basic tools for making your own cables and demos of how to make them
- Next-level pro tools Ross uses to install power systems (and how to know if you need them)
- How to wire some common appliances that are confusing to wire properly
- Recommended wire, breaker and fuse sizes for common vanlife appliances (and how these tie in to your larger system)
Module 6 Lessons
The Van Power Method Masterclass - A $1000 USD Value
Today Just $497
The proprietary methods shown inside the Van Power Method Masterclass will ensure you create a world-class power system that would easily cost $10,000 to have done at professional van shop, and that's just for labor, and just for the first system. Seeing as you could build an unlimited number of systems with this training, I believe the $1000 USD value is a modest sum based on what these systems actually cost to have done. You don't need to pay that though, you can get lifetime access to this program today for the special offer price of just $497.
Photographic Parts Lists
Take out the guesswork and delay, ensuring you get the right parts quickly, without returning things or forgetting small items. Parts lists are provided for each section of the masterclass, with photos, links, and pricing, not to mention valuable insights about each item listed. Find all the tools and products shown in each module quickly and easily!
5-Minute Alternator Connection Checklists
Charging from your alternator is great, but finding out where and how to pick up this power on your specific vehicle can be a hassle. Not anymore - these handy checklists show you exactly how to connect, with charger, cable and fuse size recommendations for your specific vehicle!
The Power Systems Vault
Get insider access to the cutting-edge X-Series power system collection, including system designs, photographic parts lists and illustrated Van Power Method install guides for the system of your choice. Quickly install the latest designs!
The Van Power Calculator
Not sure how much power you'll need? Play around with this nifty calculator and watch it recommend your battery, inverter and solar panel sizes based on the appliances you enter!
The Vanlife Items Master List
How much power does that heater take? Now you'll know with this handy list of common vanlife appliances showing how much power they use (choose your items and plug them into the Van Power Calculator!)
Solar Roof Plans
Figuring out what fits up there can be a real head-scratcher sometimes! Not anymore with these true-to-scale roof plans. See what's possible for your van's roof layout before you purchase or install anything!
One-Hour Consulting Call
Great for anything from planning to troubleshooting, use the automated scheduler anytime after signup to book a call with Ross Lukeman. Upload any documents before the call, and get a recording and written recap afterwards so you have a clear plan of action. A crowd favorite, these calls have provided many breakthroughs!
System Sizing and Selection Service
Skip all that number crunching and trying to size your system. Fill out my power system questionnaire and I'll do the math for you and recommend a system to best suit your needs. I'll also point out any red flags and give a personal assessment of the appliances you've chosen!
Choose the one that's right for you
60-Day 100% Money Back Guarantee
No questions. No hassles. Join risk-free today with a rock solid guarantee!